- Updated: August 20, 2016
The Spartanburg Vikings won Game 1 of the 2016 season 28-20 over the Summerville Green Wave. Here are some of Clary’s thoughts from the win.
- Romain Kelly and Ladarius Jones look like different players. Both have a lot of potential and showed their strengths Friday Night. Jones played very fast and Kelly used his physicality to get open consistently. Both had great TD catches.
- William Yex made some really good decisions throughout the game including getting rid of the ball at times. His 1st TD pass to Jones was in perfect stride. I thought his first career start was very good and threw for over 300 yards and had 3 TDs.
- Eric Rice and Tommy Washington are so consistent and will be great options on 3rd down all year. Spartanburg has lots of weapons to go to.
- The OL was up and down. They created some good holes at time but need to get more of a push. That’ll come with experience.
- Connor Shugart is playing with one arm and is still fantastic. He was everywhere Friday night. I can’t wait to see him play with 2 hands.
- Ayele Jeter has a very quick first step and will be relied on to be the sack leader in 2016. He was very good Friday night.
- Damyjai Foster just does everything. He is the most explosive player on the roster and gets going quicker than anyone I’ve seen in a long time including Tavien Feaster. Keeping him from cramping up over the next few months will be challenging.
- NT Josh Villegas had a great game. Between him and Mobley, the Vikings have 2 pretty good NTs.
- I can’t wait to see MLB Reggie Anderson get better and better. He can flat out hit you.
- Overall the Vikings did a lot of things well but still have a long way to go. Returning players are in new roles and we have a lot of new starters as well. Some guys are playing a lot faster than others. When some of the new guys start playing faster and thinking less, we’ll be a much faster team.
- I was VERY impressed with our discipline tonight. Shugart got pushed down after a play and our guys didn’t overreact. It was a big penalty and we didn’t have many at all.