3 Peat, Playoff Scenario
- Updated: October 15, 2016
The Spartanburg Vikings defeated the Dorman Cavaliers Friday Night 41-21 in a game that featured Dorman and Spartanburg each dominating a half of football.
The Cavaliers outgained the Vikings almost 2-1 in the 1st half, thanks to a dominating performance by the Dorman OL and great runs by QB Jalen Fowler and RB Marcus Ratchford. But the Vikings were able to keep the score close with a BJ Roseburgh INT and a Damyjai Foster 96 yard kick return for a TD. The Vikings only trailed 21-19 at the half.
It was Spartanburg’s turn in the 2nd half to control the line of scrimmage. The Vikings DEs got consistent pressure on Fowler including 3 sacks by Ayele Jeter and 1 by Reggie Anderson. The Viking defense shut out the Cavaliers in the 2nd half and BJ Roseburgh had a 2nd INT and a force fumble.
Spartanburg’s OL also created huge holes for Ladarius Jones who had a career high 142 yards. Without question, Spartanburg had space open up thanks to a down field consistent attack from QB William Yex which included a 35 yard TD pass to Romain Kelly.
Below are more of my thoughts on the game:
- It was great to see Romain Kelly get going again. He finished with 4 catches for 67 yards and 2 TDs.
- Damyjai Foster…yea, he’s incredibly talented. He had 1 carry for 48 yards and a TD, one 96 yard Kick Return for a TD, and 1 catch for 20 yards. He also covered and shut down Dorman WRs all night.
- Ladarius Jones ran with a purpose against Dorman. The holes were there because the Dorman safeties and linebackers had to respect the down field passing attack.
- The Viking DL had an amazing 2nd half. Satorian Mobley has a story to tell his family for years to come.
- BJ Roseburgh was a difference maker. 2 INTs, 2 more pass break ups, 1 forced fumble, and 4 tackles. He was incredible and his 1st half pick turned the game around.
- Thompson Rudolph is getting better and better each and every game.
- Ayele Jeter had 3 more sacks and that is starting to become the norm for him. Once he started to disengage from the blocks, he had a great game.
If the Vikings beat Boiling Springs, Spartanburg will be the Region III 5A champs.
If the Vikings lose to Boiling Springs, but beat Gaffney, there will be a 3 way tie (if Dorman beats Byrnes) at the top of the Region. The tiebreaker would be point differential between Spartanburg, Dorman, and Boiling Springs’ games amongst themselves….in the first 3 quarters. If Byrnes beats Dorman, Boiling Springs and Spartanburg would be 3-1 and BS would win. If the 3 way tie works a certain way, the Vikings would know before playing Gaffney if they can win the region or not.
If the Vikings lose to Boiling Springs and Gaffney, the Vikings would be either the 3 or 4 seed, depending on the result of Gaffney at Byrnes.
Spartanburg, Dorman, and Boiling Springs are all in the playoffs. The loser of Gaffney and Byrnes next week will be out.
All seeding in the region still needs to be worked out.