The Spartanburg Vikings put together their most complete game of the season in their 38-7 win over Union County. The Vikings held Union County to just 186 total yards including just 70 yards on the ground. The Vikings are now 3-1 and undefeated at home.
Quarterback William Yex had his best performance of the season. Yex was 15-21 for 168 yards and 2 TDs, but more importantly no INTs. Yex also consistently found his 2nd and 3rd options on particular plays including the 10 yard TD pass to Josh Johnson to ice the game in the 4th quarter.
Sophomore tailback Zykamren Robinson scored his first 2 TDs of his career and 9 different Vikings caught passes throughout the night.
The Viking defense, as mentioned above, was even more impressive. Defensive End Ayele Jeter and Defensive Tackle Satorian Mobley lived in the backfield all night with multiple tackles for loss. Defensive End Trent Byrd had 3 huge hits all in the first half, and Safety Orinthius Byrd had 2 INTs including a 45 yard Pick 6 to begin the scoring on the night. Overall, even without star Linebacker Connor Shugart, the Viking defense was outstanding.
Shugart, dealing with 2 different injuries, gave it a go but had to come out early in the 1st Quarter and never returned. He stayed on the sideline all evening and never received any extra treatment. He was questionable before the game but couldn’t play due to the pain.
The latest we heard on the injured Union County player #15 Will Horalcher is he had all feeling and was talking. He had a couple of bad bruises and was going in for X Rays. Both teams came together for a prayer once Horalcher was in the ambulance, a moment that was very touching to the fans who were there.
Below are my thoughts on a few of the things I saw Friday Night:
- Ayele Jeter is having a monster year. Opposing Offensive Linemen are having a tough time with his quick first step.
- Trent Byrd continues to become a more complete DE. He can stop the run and has become a legit pass rusher. He is sneaky strong.
- Orinthius Byrd has become a real threat for offenses to prepare for. He makes a ton of plays every game. The Pick 6 was a great effort.
- William Yex has started to look past his first option. He had his most complete game and made some really really good throws.
- The run game in the 2nd half was much better. The OL blocked a lot better when the Vikings went in the I Formation and created a good push.
- Will Lawson has become a very consistent kicker. He’s very valuable to this team. He had 2 touchbacks as well.
- Connor Shugart has a ton of heart. He will be needed for region play. I will be surprised if he plays next week.
- Jalen Girdner, Thompson Rudolph, and Orinthius Byrd all had some really good plays at Safety.
- This team has a lot of fight and plays with outstanding effort. This was easily the best game of the year for the Vikings.