Back in the summer, the Spartanburg Vikings were picked to win just 4 games by Jim Baxter of scvarsity.com.
The Vikings ended up just losing 4 games all year, going 7-3 in the regular season and 3-1 in the playoffs. The 2016 season came to an end Friday night in a double overtime loss to Boiling Springs 14-13. The Vikings scored to cut the lead 14-13 and went for 2 to win the game. But the reverse pass fell incomplete and the Bulldogs advanced to their first ever state championship.
Spartanburg held a 7-0 lead most of the game but the Bulldogs scored on a pick 6 after stopping Spartanburg multiple times throughout the night from scoring anymore.
Below are my thoughts on the 2016 season for the Spartanburg Vikings:
- I can’t tell you how proud I am of William Yex. The Vikings QB had an amazing year and became the center piece of a very productive offense. He was able to throw it all over the field and made some big time, college looking, throws in big moments.
- Junior Damyjai Foster is a special player and will be, in my opinion, the top returning player in Region III next season. When he touches the ball, it’s just different. He’s an amazing player and succeeds at so many different positions.
- Ayele Jeter – I’m so proud of this young man for so many different reasons. On the field, he became the top pass rusher I saw all year. He was a force in all 14 games.
- The Linebackers this year were fantastic. Connor Shugart, Jay Rice and Reggie Anderson all made big plays all year. Shugart and Rice return for next season. Big tackles, INTs, and huge sacks were just a part of what this group did.
- BJ Roseburgh…his INTs in region play helped this team get to 10 wins. He was outstanding. Orinthius Byrd also had monster picks this year. Very proud of these 2 seniors.
- Eric Rice, Ladarius Jones and Josh Johnson did not so many things on the stat sheet, but so many great things off the stat sheet as well. These seniors will be missed.
- Tommy Washington has a great chance to be very very special in 2017. His strength is unlike any others.
- Satorian Mobley and Josh Villegas could be the best DT combo in the region next year. The secondary will also be loaded with Foster and 2 very good safeties…Thompson Rudolph and Jalen Girdner.
- I love this team and had an absolute blast calling their games. I can’t wait for August 2017.